Friday, September 02, 2011

"Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful." -Xena, the warrior princess, as Ms. Amphipolis

"It is my opinion that our beauty obsessed culture is actually making people less happy." If you want to get discouraged, you can read the article here.


Why do some people hate beauty? Is it because they compare themselves with those "beautiful" people and feel like they're really unreachable? And that this world is so unfair because those beauty queens are just so flawless and sexy and desirable while she remains a poor unfortunate soul with pimples and flabby tummy....


Growing up, I was not confident with my looks. I was very thin, auburn, and I had big eyes. Right now, I'm still thin, I'm still dark-skinned, and I still have these big eyes plus the dark circles and eye bags that are evidences of my investments throughout these years. But I've totally taken a perspective different from how I viewed beauty when I was much younger.


I was a little disappointed when I read the article quoted above. Is it really true that the beauty-obsessed culture is making people less happy? I hope not. I remember Dove's beauty campaign a few years ago and I was a little moved by Dove's campaign on showing Beauty at a different light. Admit it, some (or many?) of us think that the only beautiful persons are those with white or fair skin, long straight hair, naturally red lips, and the ever-coveted Coca-Cola Body.

Sometimes, girls just depend so much on make-up and conceal their natural beauty. I love make-up, I love using them, but don't necessarily believe that I only look good with make up. I have my "naked" days and even if I am not qualified as a magazine cover girl, I still love the skin I'm in. Flawed, scarred, pimpled -  I am far from being perfect. But I am confident with myself. I don't hate beautiful people, I am one of them, we are all beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...