Friday, July 29, 2011

How to make your own sugar/honey wax

I've got 2 orders for this and it reminded me that I have to share this procedure with you. I make my own sugar wax and I'm really proud of it. =) I was an avid fan of Lay Bare Waxing Salon during my short 6-month stay in Manila but I could not find the same waxing service here in Davao. So, I researched the internet and found this procedure from Ehow.com. I made a few adjustments and here is how I make my own sugar/honey wax:


Use a heavy saucepan. And this is very important because you don't want to burn your wax. 

The key ingredient: 2 cups of sugar.

1/4 cup lemon juice.
I find using lemon juice to be expensive. As an alternative, I squeeze out 1/4 cup of kalamansi juice.
I spend less than P15 pesos for kalamansi from my neighbor's sari-sari store.
As for this piece of lemon, I spent P27.00 at Makro.

The lemon is harder to squeeze because of its size.


1/4 cup honey

Also add 1/4 cup water and mix all ingredients in the heavy saucepan.
Now, you're ready to start the fire! Haha!

That's how it looks like when it starts to boil.

Remember to keep your flame at the minimum once the mixture starts to boil.
You need at least 25 minutes to maximum of 35 minutes of boiling time to get your desired consistency.

After boiling for 5 minutes.

10 minutes. I used a wooden spatula to stir the mixture.
I stir the mixture in 5-minute intervals to avoid it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

15 minutes. Notice the change in color?

20 minutes... Almost there! =)

25 minutes... A few minutes more and this is good to go....
I usually let the mixture boil for around 30 to 35 minutes before I remove it from the heat. I want my wax to be hard but pliable because I prefer using my bare hands in waxing (specially when I'm waxing my sisters' legs). If you prefer to use waxing strips, then your mixture would already be good at around 25 minutes of boiling time or until it turns golden brown. This way, your wax would be soft enough to be applied to the area you wish to wax.

The finished product.
Place the mixture in a tub and set it aside to cool.


What's your favorite waxing salon/commercial wax?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for providing clear instructions! It's amazing how you can do this, I don't have the time so I buy over the counter stuff hehehe.

    By the way how do you cool the wax so it's okay to apply it already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Aicha!

    I don't heat my wax anymore. Although this type of wax can be used hot or cold, I prefer using it cold because i already got burned with hot epilin wax before. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its a very reliable and yet effective way of hair removing. I have tried it once at home but I did it without lemon. Also, the batter was not cooked properly I guess, as that didn’t served the purpose for me at all. I am surely going to try it again as per the above listed method.hair wax

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...